The B.B. & B.C. Railraod was organized in 1883; the line to Sumas was completed in 1891 and was later extended to Lynden, Glacier, and Limestone. In 1898 J.J. Donovan became its Chief Engineer and General Superintendent. Although there were two daily runs between New Whatcom and Sumas, the line was heavily used to transport logs to the mill at the foot of Dock (Cornwall) Street. In 1912 it became the Chicago, Milwaukee & St. Paul Railroad.