Caption on front in ink: "Chuckanut Sandstone" and "Amsden Clark & Co. Fairhaven." Chunks of sandstone are strewn in front of them. Captain Henry Roeder began operating the sandstone quarry in 1857. It lasted until 1908. Among the buildings built in Bellingham from the quarry's sandstone were/are the Bellingham Bay National Bank, the Roth Apartments, the second Whatcom County Courthouse, the Armory.