Unidentified small village on water's edge with forest right behind it. The village consists of about a dozen buildings, mostly wooden, right on the beach with a few above the beach on the edge of the forest. One building appears to be made of brick or stone. The building adjacent to the brick one has illegible lettering across its top. According to "Looking Back" this is a view of early Whatcom; the brick building is the courthouse built in 1859 by T.G. Richards during the Fraser River Gold Rush. In 1906 the tideflat streets were elevated and only the first story of the courthouse remained above ground. Today it is on the historic register; its address is 1308 E St. The building with the illegible lettering on it is Whatcom House, built in 1871 at the corner of Astor and E Streets.