The Fairhaven Hotel, owned by C.X. Larrabee, originally opened in 1890; it closed in 1899 and was put up for sale after repairs and renovation, in 1904; it sold to Yoghurt Sanitarium in 1922 and was renamed Hotel Victoria in 1923. In 1928 the tower was removed and the name "Fairhaven" was restored. In 1937 Whatcom County acquired the building; in 1953 it was damaged by fire, then sold for demolition which was completed in 1956. In this photo, workers and equipment are visible on the 12th Street side of the hotel; several well dressed men line the Harris Avenue sidewalk; the man standing at the Harris Avenue entrance may be C.X.Larrabee. A man stands in the round balcony above the fifth floor on the southwest corner and annother man is at the top of the telephone pole on Harris Avenue with a wire hanging from it. The First National Bank is in the southwest corner.