Fly Fishing Oral Histories
- Bill Butler, avid fly fisher and longtime member of the Inland Empire Fly Fishing Club; who along with his wife Dottie owned a fishing resort on Bailey Lake near Spokane., Interview was recorded simultaneously on a Marantz Portable Cassette Recorder (PMD222) and Sony IC Recorder (mp3 file output), Audio cassette, mp3 file, Cheney, Washington
- Avid fly fisherman and fly tyer; long time member of the Inland Empire Fly Fishing Club, has served as demonstration fly tyer at state, regional and national shows, served on the International Federation of Fly Fishers (IFFF) Fly Tying Group Board of Governors, and the Washington Council of the IFFF (V.P. for Communications). He was awarded the prestigious Dick Nelson Fly Tying Teaching Award at the 2013 International Federation of Fly Fishing Fair in West Yellowstone, Montana., Interview was recorded on audio cassette and re-recorded on Sony IC Recorder (mp3 file output) for transcription purposes. Initial transcript prepared by Christy Mann; edited by Tamara Belts and Danny Beatty (2013); and updated by Tamara Belts for ContentDM (2013)., Audio cassette, Recorded on audio cassette; transferred to mp3 file for transcripton, Ellensburg, Washington
- Passionate fly fisherman, active in the Federation of Fly Fishers, served as President (1985-87)., Danny Beatty is a native of northwest Washington State and educated at Western Washington University (B.A.Ed.). He had a long career as a public educator in Anacortes, Washington, teaching many levels and subjects, but predominately science and math at the Middle/Junior High School level. A passionate fly fisherman, Danny has been very involved in the organizational structure of the sport. He helped to organize the Fidalgo Fly Fishers in 1974. Developed data, organized surveys and testified to the Commission on regulations for Pass Lake, 1975-1980. Served as president of the Northwest Council (Federation of Fly Fishers) from 1978 to 1980; Secretary of the Federation of Fly Fishers 1980-1984, V.P. for Membership 1984-1985, President 1985-1987, Senior advisor 1987-present. He was awarded the Federation of Fly Fisher's President's Pin in 1981 and 2001 and Federator of the Year in 1983. He continues to teach fly tying to all age levels and frequently is a featured fly tyer at Washington fly tying expos and other special events. His favorite places to fish are British Columbia lakes, the Skagit River for Sea Run Cutthroat, Whidbey Island salt water for salmon (mainly pinks), Pass Lake and Cascade Lake (Orcas Island). In addition Danny serves as a member of the WWU Libraries Fly Fishing Advisory Group., Audio cassette, Bellingham, Washington
- Avid fly fisherman, rod maker, and long-time member of the Inland Empire Fly Fishing Club. 1997 recipient of the prestigious Letcher Lambuth Award., Interview was recorded simultaneously on a Marantz Portable Cassette Recorder (PMD222) and a Sony IC Recorder (mp3 file output)., Audio cassette, Spokane Valley, Washington
- Avid fly fisher and steelhead guide (Bulkley River, BC). She has been a world champion distance and accuracy fly caster., Sound captured with a Sony Digital Voice Recorder (ICD-UX512); video captured with FlipVideo recorder; Transcribed by Christy Mann, edited by Tamara Belts (2011); updated for ContentDM by Peter Smith (2012)., mp3, Bellingham, Washington
- Ed Ruckey is an avid fly fisher, fly tyer, and mentor. He joined the Fourth Corner Fly Fishers in 1986 and has held numerous positions in the club.The club recognized his countless hours mentoring others in 2002, with the establishment the Ed Ruckey Mentor Award. He is also a gifted artist and illustrator, with his illustrations appearing in Dan Homel's, Diary of Northwest Trout Flies (1991). Mr. Ruckey has also been involved in conservation work and was an early member of the Wild Fish Conservancy., This oral history was is provided thanks to the generous support of Trudy and Bill Kinder.