Biery (Galen) Papers and Photographs
Type of content
- still image (3721) + -
- photographs (3509) + -
- black-and-white photographs (3251) + -
- negatives (photographs) (218) + -
- black-and-white negatives (114) + -
- glass plate negatives (92) + -
- Bellingham's Station No. 2 was located in Fairhaven at 1110 Donovan Street, about 1905. This photograph shows the only piece of equipment used by this station. Five of Bellingham's 11 firemen manned the southside station. In 1927, a new building was constructed at the southwest corner of 14th and Harris Ave.!
- Caption: "Mr. Walter's famous cherry and apple orchard. This is a few feet above sea level." And: "House up here on the hill" with an arrow." The photograph is numbered "4." Typed on an envelope with photograph: "10 pictures pertaining to Jimmie Pickett." General George Pickett left his son James with Catherine and William Collins when he went to Virginia to fight in the Civil War. Jimmie's mother, Morning Mist, died shortly after his birth in December 1857. Catherine Collins later became Catherine Walters. The homesteads were in the Olympia, Washington area. Jimmie Pickett, an artist, died in August 1889.
- This is a laminated newspaper clipping. Caption reads: "Runaway Logs Dance on Waves-Big peeler logs which broke away from storage during wild windstorm beat crazy rhythm in Pacific American Fisheries winter morrage near plywood plant in South Bellingham Friday noon. PAF power scows and fish boats are at left in picture taken from Pier B, looking easterly to-ward South Bellingham hill district. Runaway logs are common...(cuts off)" Included with the photo is a letter from D.L. Fickel of Pacific American Fisheries to a H.W. Cameron dated 3/23/64, explaining that Biery had taken the photo the previous weekend.
- "State of Washington" was sister sip to the "Fairhaven" which was destroyed by fire in 1918. Both were built in Tacoma in 1889.The State of Washington operated for a number of years between Seattle and Bellingham Bay and then between Seattle and Everett. She was sold in 1913 to the Dalles-Columbia line for passenger and freight service on the Columbia; eventually she was sold to become a towing vessel and on June 23, 1919 while towing Standard Oil Barge 93 from Astoria to Portland she was completely demolished by a boiler explosion. South Hill is in the middle ground behind the ship and Fairhaven and Southern Railroad cars are visible on the shore.
- September 1870, v. XLI, No. 244, entitled "The Mediterranean of the Pacific" dealing with the geography and demography of the newly explored Pacific Northwest after the railroad arrived. Contains drawings of Indians, loggers, towns (Port Townsend, Victoria, Seattle, Olympia, Nanaimo) and a map of the Puget Sound.In front of the folder containing the article, its title is written in ink on a sheet of paper addressed to Pacific American Fisheries, 401 Harris Ave., Bellingham, Wash.
- This house is at 1000 North Garden Street. In 1901, this house was occupied by Harvey. L. and Clara V. Dickenson. In the 1890s, Harvey was a real estate speculator and Fairhaven promoter. He also particiated in the transport of prospectors to the gold country of Alaska. He was charter member of The Cougar Club, organized in 1901. Harvey & Clara had no children. His sister, Carrie Jane Dickenson, and his brother, Merville C. Dickenson, also lived inthis house. Merville C. Dickenson, Jr. eventually inherited the house and the family retained possession until 2002.See also GB1423.