Biery (Galen) Papers and Photographs
Type of content
- still image (3721) + -
- photographs (3509) + -
- black-and-white photographs (3251) + -
- negatives (photographs) (218) + -
- black-and-white negatives (114) + -
- glass plate negatives (92) + -
- Front caption: "11th St. North. So. Bellingham, Wn." Photograph is looking north from the intersection.In the left foreground is the northeast corner of the Blonden Block. Across Harris on the same side is the Sandwick Building. Both buildings are no longer standing. Next to the Sandwick is the Knights of Pythias building. Further down, beyond the double-horse-cart (with corner bay window) is the Thistle Bulding, home of The Thistle Opera House.
- Image shows the 1300 block of Commercial Street at Holly Street, Bellingham, WA. The Red Front Building is located on the north west corner. Other businesses and buildings include The Leader Millinery; Dr. Birney, Surgeon; City Dental Parlors; Battersby Brothers' Dry Goods and Notions; Post Office; Northwest Grocery Co.
- Caption: "Past Presidents of the Bellingham Chamber of Commerce. Annual Banquet. Bellingham Hotel. January 25, 1956. Reading from left to right: Earle D. Griffin, Dr. T. Barlow; Cecil A. Morse; Hal Arnason, Sr., Henry Jukes; John F. Wallin; Daniel Campbell; G.W. Gannon; Conrad E. BArker; D.K. Ireland; John C. Pierce; Harry C. Heal; Lew B. Wallace; Lawson P. Turcotte; Carl Q. Campbell; and E. Bert Foster."
- Front caption: "1901 Fairhaven High School Graduates. Larelle German, Bill German, Prof. Hughes." Top row (R to L) __; Myra E. Hanspeter; Robert S. Hopkins; Miss Carrie Bachtle (teacher); __; __. Bottom row (R to L): Henry Makino; Grace Auld; William or Lavalle German; Gertrude L. Anderson; Eugene S. Hoskins; William or Lavalle German; Professor W.J. Hughes. See also GB2297.
- A large group of men, women, and three children sitting on rocks. Caption on reverse in pencil:"1903 Master Plumbers Convention Boat Trip to Sucia Island" and "B.W. Groom, Ed Haskill & Wife; Chas Stoddart[sic] & Wife & Ethel; Miss Cora Adams; Helen Briggs; Gus Bettman - Cook for picnic; Jack McLeod; J.K. Robinson" Stamped on reverse: "Please Receipt and Return - Adams & Co. 1808 11th St. So. Bellingham, Wash." Several(but not all) people are identified on the front of the photo. In pencil, left to right, front row: "Miss Brian;Geo Brian; Mrs. Haskell; Ed Haskell; Ben Olson; Goddard; W B Coffee; Cong Coffee (child); Chas Stoddard; Ethan Allen Spake(?); 1903" Second row, left to right:"Cora Adams; Miss Stoddard; Else S (child); Blickler; Creave (or Creavl)" Third row, left to right: "Chik (or Chip) Groom; Broom Seattle; Haddow Tacoma; Isbesla Spokane; Pete Nevens;Guss Bettman; Jack McLeod; Helen Briggs" back row, left to right: "J K Robinson; Minturn (?); Ed Evans; Mrs Olson; Ed Sambatz Spokane" Many people are not identified, particularly women.
- Caption on reverse in pencil: "Jan 21 1943". Piles of snow in the foreground. A car is parked behind a snow bank. Clyde Bank's Cameras and Art Shop, Wahl's Department Store, the Grand Theater, and the Up & Up Tavern are visible. They were located at 119, 123-129, 133, and 137 West Holly Street respectively, between Cornwall and Commercial. On the marquee of the theate: "Any Seat 20 c - 'Sherlock Holmes' - 'Cheyenne Roundup' There is a sign on a light pole indicating it is U.S. Route 99.
- Back caption: "Last Man's Club, Feb. 22nd 1942. Back row: 1-Geo. Hunsby, 2-Jke Love, 3-Frank Carpenter, Charles Miller, ...Nelson, 4-Fred Raymond, 5-Hal Roach, 6-Janius Smith, 7..., 8-Chip Groom, 9... Middle row: 1-S. Umphenour, 2-Myers, 3-Fred Smith, 4-8..., 9-Lingbloom, 10-Frank Drake, 11-Tom McMahon Bottom Row: 1-Frank Cory, 2-Salstrom(?), 3-Pemberton, 4-F. Adams, 5-W. Sutherlen, 6-Roy Tueker, 7-Dave Johnson."
- Caption on front in ink: "4th Line Bellingham Cannery" Must be in the off season since there is no evidence of canning and the machinery is draped with sheets and tarps. Bellingham Cannery was located in Chuckanut Bay; it was bought by PAF in 1932. Different from R. A. Welsh's Bellingham Canning Company, located on the Fairhaven waterfront and bought by PAF in 1935.