Biery (Galen) Papers and Photographs
- photographs (3509) + -
- black-and-white photographs (3251) + -
- negatives (photographs) (218) + -
- black-and-white negatives (114) + -
- glass plate negatives (92) + -
- Back caption: "Excursion Inlet." Excursion Inlet is in northern southeast Alaska in Haines Borough. There has been a fishery there since 1908 when Pacific American Fisheries closed its first Alaska cannery at Chilkat after the 1906 season and built a new one at Excursion Inlet. Robert Forbes was manager of both. A prisoner of war camp was located there during World War II.
- Front caption: "Whatcom County Officials 1899. Enlargement of BUS1405.1 Previously identified group of 15 men and one woman is posed on the front steps of the County Courthouse. This is the unpaved Ellsworth Street side of the building: note the grass at the base of the steps. Taken on September 14, 1899. Left to right they are: 1. Alex Van Wyck, County Auditor. 2. Charles Donovan, Dep.County Assessor. 3. W. Brisbin, Deputy County Sheriff. 4. F. F. Handschey, Dep. County Treasurer. 5. R. O. Simpson Supt. Of Schools. 6. Miss Nellie Rogers, Clerk in Treas. Off. 7. A. R. Campbell, Deputy County Surveyor. 8. H. E. Hadley, Judge of Superior Court. 9. E. S. Hincks, Draughtsman. 10. W. R. Sybert, Deputy County Auditor. 11. A. E. Mead, County Attorney (Wearing string tie. Later Governor of Washington State). 12. O. J. Horin, County Clerk. 13. Charles Cudworth, Janitor. 14. A. B. Eastabarook, Sheriff. 15. Ole Oleson, Deputy Clerk. 16. V. A. Roeder, County Treasurer."
- Caption on photo sleeve in ink: "Whatcom Pass Glacier etc. (see attachment)" A man in shadow astride a horse with a pack horse behind, stopped at a trn with a snowy glacier beyond in the background. Typed on the accompanying documentation: "Whatcom Pass Glacier. Whatcom Pass. Whatcom County, Washington" and in pencil: "C.H. Park photo" Also stamped on reverse: "Nov 5 1925"
- Whatcom tide flats showing original brick courthouse built by T.G. Richards on the beach in 1889 during the Fraser River Gold Rush. In 1906 when the tide flat streets were elevated, only one storyof the courthouse remained above ground at 1308 E Street. Also visible a clapboard hotel adjacent to the courthouse and several smaller buildings. The forest extends nearly to the shoreline.