Biery (Galen) Papers and Photographs
Type of content
- still image (3721) + -
- photographs (3509) + -
- black-and-white photographs (3251) + -
- negatives (photographs) (218) + -
- black-and-white negatives (114) + -
- glass plate negatives (92) + -
- Large clapboard colonial house with hip roof and a chimney on both ends. A walk and steps lead from the street up the terraced front lawn to the house. Adams Street is in the lower right corner of the photo. Although not identified in the photo this is 519 16th Street in Bellingham. The original owner was John Wilkinson, owner of Famous Shoe Store. The house was eventually owned by Dr. Gustav Hodge, who lived there for many years.
- She was built by Will A. Loman in Anacortes in 1912 and was sold to Pacific American Fisheries in 1917. She had a compound steam engine and burned crude oil. In this photo nine men, likely cannery workers, stand on her decks. Dark smoke blows from her stack as she cuts through the water. An American flag flies from the stern; a flag with six rows of eight stars is in her bow. Heavily forested hills are in the background. Eventually she was sold to Gilkey Brothers Towing Company.
- Back caption: "Views of Bellingham Taken By C C Siegel Nov.12-1910. 800 Blk Elk St" On the far left is Bellingham Bottling Works at 800 Elk (State) Street, Henry Daesener, Manager. To the right of this is the right-of-way for Ivy Street. To the right of these are several single-storey, false fronted buildings. On the far right is a billboard for Carnation brand canned milk.
- Back caption: "Views of Bellingham Taken By C C Siegel Nov.12-1910. 900 Blk Elk St" The corner of Rose and Elk (State) Streets, has a distinctive tower on the near corner and a bay on the far corner. In the background, at the corner of Lauel and Elk (State) Streets is a three-storey, wooden building with a corner bay topped by an observation balcony under an 'onion dome' roof.
- Back caption: "Views of Bellingham Taken By C C Siegel Nov.12-1910. 905-907 Harris Ave" The brick building on the left is 909-911 Harris Avenue; the building partially visible on the right is 913-915 Harris Avenue. A sign over the main doorway reads, "Hotel Bacona. Board & Lodging. $5 per week." In 1910 Mrs. Emma Christie was the proprietor. Jenkins and Boyd operated a hardware store at 913 Harris Ave.
- Caption on front in ink: "A busy day in South Bellingham" and on reverse on a separate sheet in ink: "J.B. McMillan" Two older men in suits sleeping (or pretending to) in wicker chairs in what appears to be a pharmacy. Shelves of toiletries are behind them. One man wears a hat; both have their hands crossed in front of them. J.B. McMillan may be Joseph B. McMillan who lived on 16th Street. The other man is likely George Finnegan who was pharmacist at Fairhaven Pharmacy.
- The diesel ferry boat is named "Motor Princess." It is moving out into Schilsoe Bay from the Hudson's Bay Co. dock on the Ballard waterway. This boat was designed by Capt. James Troup as the first vessel constructed for the C.P.R. as an auto ferry, was launched by Yarrows Ltd. At Esquimalt (Vancouver Island), making her first trip between Sidney and Bellingham in late May of 1923. From 1929 to 1950, the Motor Princess moved cars between Vancouver and Steveston on the lower arm of the Fraser Delta. In 1952, she was converted to freight use between Vancouver and Victoria. In 1956 she was rebuilt from the hull up to become a 40-car ferry on the Fulford Harbour-Swartz Bay crossing.
- Front caption: "657 -- 'Mount Stephen' House, Field, W.M. Notman & Sons, Montreal." To service the anticipated rush of tourists, Van Horne, builder of the Canadian Pacific Railroad, ordered the construction of a series of hotel dining stations along the main line through the mountains. The first of these was Mount Stephens House in Field, which was finished in 1886 at a cost of $20,000. Its interior was executed in high Victorian style -- complete with gas lights, heavy broacades, pump organs, and caged canaries.
- The four-prop plane was the Clipper Northern Light. A long line of well-dressed passengers climb the stairs to enter the plane. The ID is painted under the wing: N6II4C. Four men and a woman holding a baby stand behind the gate watching the passengers getting on the plane. Duplicate of photo gb3433.
- Photocopy of photo with caption: "A Scene on the 'Boulevard'" A man seated on a wagon pulled by two horses navigating a muddy mess of a road, presumably the Boulevard in Fairhaven. The wagon is loaded with what looks like coal. South Hill rises to the left; wooden steps go up the hill. A house is visible just beyond the steps. Written in pencil on reverse: "1903"