Biery (Galen) Papers and Photographs
- photographs (3509) + -
- black-and-white photographs (3251) + -
- negatives (photographs) (218) + -
- black-and-white negatives (114) + -
- glass plate negatives (92) + -
- Written in ink on three separate United States Steel memo sheets: "Kasaan, Alaska is located on Prince of Wales Island and is about 20 miles from Ketchikan. The present location of Kasaan was determined by the government, who moved the natives from Old Kasaan. Kasaan Village was built in its present location by the government, when Old Kasaan was stricken with smallpox and tuberculosis. Old Kasaan which was 5 miles was noted for its totem poles. These for the most part were left when the new village was organized. In 1901 the first salmon cannery was built at Kasaan by the the[sic] Kasaan Bay Fishing and Mining Co of New Haven, Connecticut. The cannery operated for two years and then was closed down, It was operated again in 1906, after which the cannery burned. It was rebuilt again and was lost by fire again on Sept. 12, 1910 and again by fire Oct. 29, 1911. Pacific American Fisheries of Bellingham acquired the Kasaan Cannery from Northwestern Fisheries about 1931. It was operated till 1953. The buildings are still standing although the machinery has been removed. Many people from Bellingham put in a season at Kasaan. The new community house at Kasaan was built during the 1930's. The totems are from Old Kasaan."